Thursday, December 8, 2011

Christmas Crack



No.....a plumber did not come to my house today....

I'll bet a lot of you have heard of Christmas Crack, but believe it or not, I had never had this wonderful creation until last year. Sure, growing up, we had traditional foods that were only consumed during the holidays, which included Moravian Sugar Cake.  We lived in various places, but had friends in High Point.  Every time we came to visit, we had Sugar Cake.  I was thrilled when we moved here because I can now have it year-round - not that I NEED to have it year-round.....

Speaking of NEED.........ahhhh, Christmas Crack.  Not only is it fantastic, but it is VERY easy to make.

Here is the recipe:

Preheat the oven to 400 degrees.

Ingredients:
1 sleeve saltine crackers
3/4 cup brown sugar
1 cup butter
1 package chocolate chips or Hershey Kisses

Line a baking sheet with foil.  The baking sheet should have a small lip on the edges. Lightly spray with a non-stick cooking spray.  Lay the saltines out on the cookie sheet.  They should be lined up in rows and touching.

Melt the butter in a saucepan and add the brown sugar.  Stir well.  Bring it to a full rolling boil and let it boil for 3 minutes.

Pour this mixture over the saltines.  Bake for 5 minutes.

Sprinkle the chocolate chips or kisses over the saltines.  I used a combination.  Let it sit for a couple of minutes and the chocolate will melt.  I was impatient (imagine that), so I put it back in the oven for about two minutes. 

Spread the chocolate with the back of a spoon evenly over the crackers.  Refrigerate (or put it outside in a SAFE place if it's cold) for a couple of hours. 

Break it off in chunks and store in an air-tight container......if it lasts that long.

There are tons of variations.  You could add crushed peppermint candy on top or nut, or instead of adding chocolate, you could add crushed chocolate toffee pieces.  The possibilities are endless!!!




Enjoy!!!




Forgive me for not having pictures of the step-by-step process.  I didn't realize that I was going to put it on the blog until I tasted it.  Some things HAVE to be shared!

No comments: