Wednesday, April 24, 2013

Backyard Garden 2013....Pin There, Done That....Using what you've got.....

Can you tell that I struggled with naming this post?  Is it about the garden, Pinterest or re-using?  I will let you decide.

Pinterest...... I have a love/hate relationship with her, as most of you probably do as well.  I LOVE LOVE LOVE all of the fantastic food, projects, fashion and funnies that she has to provide.  Why do I look at the food on Pinterest at night, when I am getting ready to go to sleep when it only makes me hungry!?!?!

The "love" portion emerges when I see a Pin that is appealing and I realize that I have the components to make the item or recipe. 

Insert springtime......

I have been frequenting the "Garden" category lately and refreshing my memory with items that I previously pinned during the winter.

I am a mild hoarder.....if someone is giving something away (particularly a family member) and I envision a use for it, I gladly take it from them.  I may not use it for a while, but I keep it. Also, I really like springtime - the flowers, grass, trees - yea - whatever - it's bulk pickup time!  Where your neighbor's trash can be your treasure - for FREE!

Old windows have been used in so many crafts.  I am fortunate enough to have two of them.  I have had them so long, that I don't remember which family member I got them from so I can't give them credit.



I saw this fantastic idea on Pinterest to take the glass out of a window, attach legs to them and cover one side with screen.  This way, you can grow lettuce under the screened window, in the shade, and cucumbers or squash on top of the windows that gets full sunlight.

GENIUS!!!!




I thought that I was going to have to nail the legs onto the sides of the window, but realized that these were originally swinging windows and still had the hinges attached. Treat it with a little bit of the husband's "grease in a can" and the hinges move perfectly. SCORE! My legs can now lay flat for storage!



 
I have planted the lettuce and will soon plant the cucumber or squash to run havoc on the top of the windows.  Do you see the piece of decorative metal that cap the end of the raised bed?  It's from an old sewing machine.  We got it from a yard sale a few years back for about $5 for both pieces.  The dogs like to run the fence and bark at the neighbors dogs, so this helps keep them out - along with yelling of course!  I could go on and on about re-using what you've got, but I think you get the picture. 


Do you see the piece of decorative metal that cap the end of the raised bed? It's from an old sewing machine. We got it from a yard sale a few years back for about $5 for both pieces. The dogs like to run the fence and bark at the neighbors dogs, so this helps keep them out - along with yelling of course! I could go on and on about re-using what you've got, but I think you get the picture. 

Did I mention that I did the project all of this by myself AND while the Husband and I were building the pieces for the outdoor shower at the beach house?  (see the "The 2013 Beach Project - Back Yard - Outdoor Shower" if you missed that post.)

No comments: