Thursday, January 28, 2010

For all you Newbies.........

I have had two classes recently and wanted to check on the Newbies.  During the more recent classes, I have not collected email address, so this is my best form of communication.

Do you have any questions or issues?  If so, please email me at missy_coates@hotmail.com

I would like to propose a "To Do" list to help you get started.
  • Purchase at least two Sunday papers. When I first started, I was VERY frustrated that I did not have the coupons that "everyone" was talking about to do the deals.
  • Create some type of system to store your coupons. My preference is the binder system where you use a three-ring binder, dividers and baseball card holders to file your coupons after you have clipped them. In addition, I also use a thin three-ring binder, divided by stores to record my weekly deals, putting the coupons that I am using for the week in a baseball card holder behind the divider.
  • Start off slowly.  When I began, I did the deals with guns a blazing.  As a result, I paid more for items in the beginning that I really should've (didn't know that .75 for deoderant was a lot!!). Now I look back and think - really - did I pay $X for that!?!?!
  • Set a goal/A little goes a long way.  Where do you want to be in one month?  Set a money-based goal.  In the beginning, I found that I saved a ton of $ on Health/Beauty items and cleaning stuff, but not so much on groceries.  Focus on one or the other and don't try to tackle both.  It might be fun to also track your savings.
  • Check my blog.  I highlight the grocery store deals, as well as the drug store deals.  If our area did not receive the coupons to do the deal, I do not post it.  I double check my inserts to be 100% sure. If I do not think the average couponer cannot do the deal, I do not post it - or - if it's complicated, I tell you up front.
Also, if you have any feedback, good or bad, or suggestions to make something "less confusing" in the class, PLEASE let me know.  I am always looking for ways to share this information without it being too terribly confusing.

 
One last thing - try not to brag TOO much to your friends about how much $ you are saving (unless you think they would be interest in couponing).  It's just not flattering to go on and on like that.



Good Luck and let me know if you have any questions!!

No comments: